head of operations
Deadline: May 19, 2017
About the Post
Reporting to the Co-directors of MILL6 Foundation (the ’Organization’), Head of Operations is one of the key members of the team in the establishment of our young and growing team.
This position is responsible for managing and ensuring the Organization’s long term operational needs for programs, exhibitions, events, visitors and facilities are met. This role will work closely with the senior management of the Organization to plan and implement exhibition, and also manage the logistics management of the Collection and the building maintenance.
- To setup, manage and improve all aspects of the Organization’s operations while working closely with the senior management of the Organization and building the Operation Team; and
- To develop operating policies and procedures and direct daily operations including building maintenance, storage and exhibition installation, machine and apparatus on display; and
- To oversee and supervise the planning and construction of MILL6 spaces of the permanent galleries and storage; and
- To optimize public access and preservation of the Collections through physical and digital storage, gallery spaces, associated environmental and security parameters, emergency response, risk management and workflows; and
- To secure and protect the Organization’s assets, including facilities and equipment; and
- To ensure appropriate security for all of the Organization’s programs and installation sites; and
- To liaise with building services to ensure adequate maintenance of the Organization’s space at all times; and
- To manage art movement, including handling, packing and unpacking as well as exhibition installations and de-installations; and
- To supervise and support the construction of any mounts and temporary structures related to object displays; and
- To work with the curatorial team and the project management team to plan, design and implement exhibitions and providing expert support on all technical aspects; and
- To work with the curatorial team to prepare collection and non-collection materials for exhibition installation and display, logistics and storage; and
- To manage permanent and contract art handlers, exhibition technicians and security guards ensuring compliance with the best-practice guidelines; and
- To handle all emergency response and risk management
This successful candidate will work closely with the Co-directors, leaders and collaborators, both internal and external, to lead the operations team consistent with the overall goals of reputation building of this young organization through developing and implementing all operational strategies to ensure that they are effective and represent best practice to the Organization.
The successful candidate should possess:
- Advanced knowledge of national and international principles, practices, standards, and ethics relating to the care, exhibitor and display of physical and digital collections.
- Comprehensive experience in a senior collection management and exhibition management role in a museum, gallery or related organization.
- Experience in all aspects of art installation including large-scale artwork, audio and visual and multi-media installations, and experience in gallery handling lighting.
- Proven experience in purchasing and maintaining art handling tools and equipment.
- Ability to use various hand tools and equipment.
- Outstanding organizational skills and communication.
- Evidence of effective planning and decision-making abilities.
- Ability to accurately track and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Problem-solving skills, patience and be detail-oriented.
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting and to lead a crew.
- Flexibility for being required to work in off hours, weekend and public holiday from time to time as deemed necessary.
The candidate should possess a university degree in art history, fine arts, museum studies, or related field. He/she must be fluent in written and spoken in English and Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin) and have superior computer skills in creating presentations, spreadsheets and words documents and proficient in digital inventory collection system. A minimum of five years of relevant experience in managing museum (mid-sized international institution) including venue security, maintenance duties of the museum, art handling, transportation, and knowledge of museum best practices.
This is an exciting opportunity to make a major contribution to the building of MILL6 Foundation.
To apply for this position
Qualified candidates should email their cover letter, CV, expected salary with contact information to email@example.com.