Deadline: Wed 23 Aug, 2017
About the Post
Reporting to the Co-directors of MILL6 Foundation (“MILL6”), the Assistant Curator will play a role in supporting the Curator in organizing thoughtful and attractive programs for broader audience. MILL6 seeks an assistant curator with substantial interest and experience in writing about or organizing exhibitions in contemporary art and design and/or Asia-Pacific textile and fashion subjects. This Assistant Curator role will report to the Curator of the Curatorial team and will be a key in supporting the Curator in organizing seasonal and permanent exhibitions, symposiums and seminars involving contemporary art/design that are related to the textile theme and textile heritage history of Hong Kong.
Reporting to the Curator, the Assistant Curator will be expected to:
- Work with Co-Directors and MILL6 curatorial team to establish the direction, goals in collection and programing of exhibition and other related events; and
- Execute the MILL6 Collection policy, strategize the way of contextualize and expanding collection; and
- Focus on Hong Kong textile industrial history, organize the exhibitions and events that offer fresh lens of experiencing and appreciating textile and fashion especially in Asia Pacific region; and
- Organize exhibitions to introduce innovative creativities of textile and fashion in Asia Pacific to local and international audience; and
- Support the Curatorial team to liaise closely with all venues on the practical arrangements for each allocated exhibition, including: design liaison, loan negotiation and agreements, condition checking, packing, transport, indemnity and insurance, couriers and installation; and
- Co-ordinate, assist and work closely with the curator of each allocated exhibition, to develop the object list, confirm loans, edit and proof-read all gallery text and label copy, press releases, gallery guides etc. when required; and
- Conduct research plans in support of the exhibition contents and leading junior curatorial assistants to assist in research and presentation of archival materials; and
- Build and expand the international network with other textile and fashion related cultural and research organization; and
- Collaborate with community and learning curators to offer friendly ways of communicating the concept of exhibitions; and
- Assist team to build credibility as non-profit art and culture organization of MILL6 through research, presentation, programing, writing and other pertinent activities.
- Have Master degree or above in art history or cultural studies or museology, and a specialty in fashion, textiles and/or contemporary art and design.
- Have substantial (more than 2 years) experience working with institutions with collections of textile, fashion and/or contemporary art and organizing installations and exhibitions, including nationally and internationally traveling shows.
- Demonstrate sufficient knowledge Asia Pacific textile and fashion of 1940s onward and contemporary art and design.
- Be open to challenge to provide a new perspective in looking at textile and fashion /contemporary art across disciplines.
- Be a good communicator and negotiator with different parties – including artists and other collaborators.
- Competent writer of editorials, cataloguing skills and other written material related to the exhibition.
- Be fluent in written and spoken in English. Language in Mandarin/Cantonese is preferable.
- Flexibility for being required to work in off hours, weekend and public holiday from time to time as deemed necessary.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Qualified candidates should email their cover letter, CV, expected salary and names of 2 references with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.